Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pumpkin Waffles with Apple Cider Syrup

On the 9th day of Christmas my kitchen gave to me, Pumpkin waffles with apple cider syrup!

When I was little, it was tradition that on Christmas morning my dad would make pumpkin waffles and apple cider syrup.  Over the last couple of years, the tradition has died off so I decided to bring it back and who knows where the recipe of old is.  However, with my good friend google and some imagination, I made something that tasted outstanding for Christmas.  The recipes are as follows.

Punkin Waffles:
1 cup flour
1 cup oat flour (I just blend oats in my blender)
4 tsp. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk (if I have buttermilk I'll use it to replace some of the milk)
2 T. oil (I've forgotten the oil before and they have still turned out great)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup pureed pumpkin (optional)
Mix everything all together and add more milk if needed.  Make into waffles and serve with Apple Cider Syrup.

Apple Cider Syrup
Apple Cider Syrup:
2 cups-apple cider (or apple juice)-divided
1 1/4 cups-sugar (you can use either brown or white; I used white)
1 tsp.-cinnamon
1/4 tsp.-nutmeg
2 tsp. lemon juice
4 T.-white flour or 2 T. corn starch
Heat 1 1/2 cups of the apple cider, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice until boiling. Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of apple cider and white flour. Slowly pour flour mixture into boiling cider mixture stirring constantly to make sure there are no lumps.  Boil for 2 minutes.  Turn off heat.  Taste syrup to see if it is to your liking and fix accordingly.  Serve immediately or pour into clean jars and store in fridge for a week.

1 comment: