Friday, January 6, 2012

Caramelized Almonds

On the 11th day of Christmas my kitchen gave to me, Caramelized Almonds!
I was always under the impression that caramelizing nuts was always done in five star restaurants.  I now stand corrected.  I made these several days before Christmas, stored them in a jar and served them over a salad.  Everyone thought they were at a five star restaurant!
1/8 cup-butter
1 cup-sliced almonds
1/2 cup sugar (I went crazy and did 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup maple syrup; note: the maple syrup makes it take longer to cook)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add sliced almonds, then add sugar and salt.  Stir over low heat until they have "dried out," being careful to not let the sugar burn.  Usually take 10min or approx. 20 if using maple syrup.  To check if they are done, take a piece out of pan, allow to cool and eat.  If it is still chewy then it is not done.  If they crunch, then it is done.  Allow to cool and enjoy!

1 comment: