Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Mashed Potatoes

On the 8th day of Christmas my kitchen gave to me, Mashed Potatoes!

I know, I know, you looked at this blog post and thought to yourself that I'm crazy for posting about mashed potatoes.  But these are not your normal mashed potatoes.  These are the make-ahead-and-freeze, heart-attack-waiting-to-happen, gain-ten-pounds kind of mashed potatoes.  These are only allowed to me made at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. 

Mashed Potatoes (allow at least 1/3 lb of potato per person. 5 lb bag= approx. 12-15 people):
Peel, chop, and boil 5 lbs of potatoes (remember we are talking holidays here with many people).  Once the potatoes are soft (but not baby food status), drain water and add the following:
2 cubes (1 cup)-butter
1 cup sour cream (I usually do half sour cream and half greek yogurt if I want to be a little healthier)
1 package-cream cheese
a little milk
salt and pepper to taste
Mash all together and scoop into a freezer safe casserole dish.  Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze until the day before the big event.  Thaw in fridge for at least 24 hours.  Optional: Just prior to baking, pour melted butter over the top (butter will make a slightly crunchy and delicious topping).  Bake uncovered at 350F for 30-45 min (or until hot). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment