Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Kombucha


Kombucha (it normally is brown in color but I added raspberries to this batch)


Here is the long awaited post about Kombucha:

Disclaimer:I did not start brewing kombucha to cure myself if anything. I did not start kombucha because I wanted to join the new fad. I don't drink it for really any particular reason. I started it because it sounded like a fun experiment.  I mean who wouldn't want to figure out how to grow little tiny live bugs, eat them (or in this case drink them), and see what happens.  Anything I do in my kitchen or garden is not because I believe that by doing so I can live to be 100. I do not drink kombucha to escape death (as in Japan since kombucha was considered the tea of immortality).  There are so many things outside of our control and thankfully I believe in a sovereign God.  Sometimes our body needs something and maybe Kombucha has it, and maybe it doesn't. 

Now, what is Kombucha?  In a nutshell, it is tea that has been fermented with a kombucha culture, thus making the tea alive with yeasts and bacteria.

If I haven't lost you yet, continue reading:
A kombucha culture, also called a kombucha mushroom or SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeasts) is a cream colored, pancake looking disk that is used to ferment tea.  The kombucha tea has been drank for thousands of years, starting in China and spreading to Russia, Japan, and now other parts of the world.  It was quite popular until World War I when tea and sugar were rationed.

What is IN Kombucha?
Depending on how the kombucha tea is brewed, it will have some if not all of the following:
-Lactic Acid: It detoxifies the body, helps blood circulation, and helps prevent bowel decay and constipation
-Acetic Acid: It inhibits harmful bacteria from growing and aids in detoxifying the body
-Usnic Acid: It is a natural antibiotic and helps fight many viruses
-Oxalic Acid: Encourages the cellular production of energy and is a natural preservative
-Malic Acid: Used in the body's detoxifying process
-Gluconic Acid: It helps break down glucose in the body.  Also it is said to be effective against many yeast infections
-Butyric Acid: It works with gluconic acid and helps combat yeast infections
-Carbonic Acid: It is present in blood cells and aids in CO2 release and regulation of blood PH levels
-Folic Acid: This is a B-vitamin and works with B12 to reduce homocysteine (a risk factor in heart disease)
-Vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12, and Vitamin C.

Stay tuned on how to make your own kombucha at home!


Please do not completely rely on my posts about kombucha, but do your own research as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment