Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sourdough Waffles

I love working with "bugs." I'm not talking about the creepy crawling ones that you need to squish with your shoe, I'm talking about the tiny ones that work miracles. These bugs make my wort into beer, my tea into kombucha, and my flour/water into a sourdough starter. Thankfully I didn't have to go through the trouble to urge the little guys into doing there job to make a starter and a friend gave me part of hers that is over 100years old! I'm not embarrassed to tell you that I did a happy dance. The first thing I made is sourdough waffles. They were amazing. Even my husband liked them (he eats everything I give him, but I know when I can repeat something and when I should never make something again). So without making you read more of my babblings, here is the recipe.

Sourdough Waffles (adapted from the 101 similar recipes online):
In a blender the night before, mix:
1 1/4 c.-whole wheat flour (thanks mom for your grinder)
2 T-honey
1/3 c.-active starter (I fed mine about 12 hours before I started my waffles)
1/2 c.-Greek yogurt
1/2c.-coconut milk (most recipes call for buttermilk. I never have it in my fridge so I did with what I had on hand and probably will never buy buttermilk for this recipe)
Note: if it is really think and having a hard time mixing, add some water

In the morning, whip all this together and then add to blender:
3 eggs
2 T melted butter (could probably use melted coconut oil)
1/4 t.-salt
1/2t.-baking soda
Note:if it's too thick, you can add some water.
Cook according to your waffle maker and instructions. Add whatever toppings that you want and enjoy. With my waffle maker, I made about 8 waffles.
Note: These freeze well. Just reheat in the oven or toaster oven.



No comments:

Post a Comment