Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Healthy Chicken Nuggets

Sometimes I think I never grew up, especially when it comes to chicken nuggets.  I can remember countless times when at a restaurant and the only thing I ever saw on the menu were chicken nuggets.  They were my go to whenever the menu had more that chicken nuggets on it.  I liked them with bbq sauce, ranch dressing, honey mustard, and any other dipping sauce.  I have never made chicken nuggets because the frying thing is just not something I would ever do in my own kitchen. And since my life style and kitchen have become more and more healthy, I have even stopped ordering chicken nuggets when I go out to eat.  Now all that has changed, and its all my sister's fault.  I went up to her house to watch the super bowl and low and behold, on the counter, there were homemade chicken nuggets calling my name.  I ate too many, stole her recipe, and made a HUGE batch so I will always have chicken nuggets ready for my chicken nugget cravings.  I have no guilt though because these are healthy...I promise!
I doubled the recipe. I like chicken nuggets.

Chicken Nuggets (recipe adapted from here):
1 lb- Boneless Chicken (breasts or thighs)
1 small sweet potato (yielding about 1 cup)
1 whole egg
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
about 1tsp. salt
approx. 1/2 cup-rice flour
coconut oil

Bake sweet potato at 400f until soft (or if you're lazy and didn't think ahead, throw it in the microwave for a few minutes).  Using a food processor, grind the chicken and add to a mixing bowl. Next, add cooked sweet potato, egg and spices to food processor and blend until smooth. Mix ground chicken and sweet potato concoction together.  Heat a couple tablespoons of coconut oil in a frying pan.  Using a spoon, scoop up some chicken mixture, roll around in rice flour and flatten in the frying pan. When lightly golden, flip and place on cookie sheet (if you're going to eat them right away or paper towels if you're going to freeze them).  Continue adding coconut oil and chicken mixture to pan until you're done.  If you're going to eat them right away, heat up oven to 375f and cook for a couple of minutes to insure the chicken is completely cooked.  Makes approx. 20 nuggets.
Note: if you would like to freeze these, hold off on the baking until you want to eat them.

Homemade Ranch Dip:
2/3 cup- homemade yogurt
3 T. -mayo
juice from 1/2 lemon (or 2 T-rice vinegar)
1/2 tsp-salt (may need more depending on your preference)
1/2 tsp-onion powder
1/2 tsp-garlic powder
1/2 tsp-lemon pepper 
1 tsp. soy sauce (this is the secret ingredient to homemade ranch dressing, but you can omit this if you have gluten sensitivities)
Mix all together. Test the flavor to see if its right for you.  If it has too much flavor, add more yogurt. If its too thick, add milk. If it needs more flavor, add more spices.  Go out on a limb, try something new, have fun with this recipe and make it yours!



Perfect dinner for the kid in me (well, and a beer for the adult in me too)

1 comment: