Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Homemade Tortillas with Coconut Oil

Homemade tortillas, oh how I've missed thee.  It has been way too long since I've had any tortilla let alone a good homemade one.  Then the other day I got this craving for carnitas. Finally the day had come. I had the meat in the crock pot and I had on my to-do list to stop and get some of those uncooked tortillas from the store. And well, I totally forgot. It wasn't until I got home, finished up the meat, made guacamole, and got all the other toppings ready that I realized that I didn't have any tortillas. Well, thanks to living in Mexico for two years, I just decided to whip some up real quick.  However, since cleaning out my pantry for the whole30 cleanse, I only had olive oil and coconut oil on hand.  I have tried making tortillas from olive oil and have not enjoyed them in the lease, so coconut oil was my only option.  Necessity is the mother of invention: they were some of the best tortillas I have ever had. Even Curtis loved them (and he hates all things coconut).
So, without further adue, here is the recipe.

Homemade Tortillas with Coconut Oil
2 C-flour (I know, I'm bad, I used the unhealthy white kind), plus extra for rolling
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 C.-coconut oil
approx. 3/4 C. hot water
Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  Add coconut oil.  Using fork, knife and any other utensil of your choice, attempt to cut in the coconut oil (that was probably the hardest part to the whole thing). When the mixture resembles crumbs and coconut oil is in small pieces mixed throughout the flour, add in 2/3 C. hot water and stir, then add in a little at a time so as to not get the dough too wet. Once its in a ball, need it several times and then divide it into small balls. This batch made about ten-10" tortillas.  Now coat eat ball in flour and roll out into a tortilla shape.  Immediately place on griddle or frying pan (medium heat) and cook.   Enjoy warm.
Note: With the tortillas being made with coconut oil, when they are cold, they are hard. When they are warm, they are soft and delicious.
Step 2-in making a perfect tortilla



Oh, you're asking me how to roll a perfect tortilla? You know that when I was in Mexico I was told that I couldn't get married until my tortillas were round.  Once I knew all their secrets to making round tortillas, I could whip out perfectly round tortillas just as fast as any Mexican could. Unfortunately it meant that i was eligible and conversations thereafter where...um...rather interesting.
1) Take dough ball. Roll to make sure that it is round and without creases
2) Completely coat in flour and flatten a bit with palm of hand
3) Now pretend that the dough ball is a clock. With the rolling pin, roll from 6:00-12:00 and then back to 6:00. Only.
4) Flip tortilla over and rotate one-quarter turn (for example I rotate from 12:00-9:00)
5) Repeat steps 3-4 until tortilla is super thin.
6) Enjoy your perfectly round tortillas and start looking for a man!




No comments:

Post a Comment