Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Jalapeno Jelly

On the 3rd day of Christmas my kitchen gave to me, Jalapeno Jelly!
Since I'm on a canning kick, I'd thought I'd share about a great appetizer made from all the different kinds of peppers that I had in my garden.  For those of you who don't know, I have a secret garden that explodes with all sorts of goodies throughout the summer.  However, my peppers this year decided to continue growing well into November.  As my sister and I were trying to decide what to do with all these peppers at various stages of hotness/ripeness, we decided to make Jalapeno Jelly (well, Hot Pepper Jelly since we didn't actually have any Jalapenos).  We didn't really follow any recipe, but more like mixed a couple of recipes together and used past canning experience to make something that turned out delicious!
Warning: This was actually very easy (at least compared to the Orange Marmalade)
Hot Pepper Jelly
1) Gather all the peppers (jalapenos, Anaheim chilies, bell peppers, etc).  Wash, cut open to remove all the seeds and what not, and place in a blender.  The goal is to get about 4 cups of pepper (blended) and 1 cup of either apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (I used a half cup of each).
Note: Since its hard to tell how many whole peppers will blend down to 4 cups, I started out with a blender full of peppers and 1/2 cup of liquid.  There is probably a more scientific way to do it but I'm not a scientist. 
2) Mix together 1 box of pectin (plus a little more since my jams/jellies have a mind of their own) and 1/2 cup of sugar.
3) Cook together: 4 cups pepper mush (which should be 5 cups since there should be 1 cup of either lemon juice or apple cider vinegar already in it), 4 cups of sugar, and a pinch of salt.
4) Simmer for 10min.
5) Add sugar/pectin mixture and bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
6) Pour into sanitized jars, screw on lids and place in a boiling water bath, and boil for 10 minutes.
7) Remove from water and let allow to cool.
Serve pepper jelly over a block of cream cheese with a side of crackers, spread onto a sandwich, or give away as Christmas presents, birthday presents, or as a hostess gift.



1 comment: