Monday, December 12, 2011

Cheesy Potato Soup and Dinner Rolls

When trying to think of what to write for my first post, I got a little overwhelmed. Should I post about the amazing sour dough pizza I just made? The jalapeno jelly that had no jalapenos but instead every other kind of pepper that was in my garden? Or the sourdough crackers that taste like cheese-its? Or the Kombucha I'm planning on bottling when I have a moment of free time? Or the orange marmalade that finally turned out to be a success? And I could go on and on. Instead I'll tell you what I made last night for dinner. 
 Sundays are usually my days to take a break from the kitchen. However, when you have company for dinner, you're forced to cook.  Creamy potato soup and rolls are the easiest thing I could think of so here are the recipes

Dinner Rolls: this recipe is actually the Pioneer Woman cinnamon roll recipe made into dinner rolls (I know, I'm super creative).  I just followed the recipe until I had a big lump of workable dough.  Formed a bunch of dough balls and placed them in the pans.  Since I was running out of time, I let them rise in the oven while the oven was heating up to 375.  When the were almost done (maybe 20min but I never use a timer in the kitchen so who knows exactly how long they cooked), I brushed a little oil over the top (you can use butter or whatever).  Let them cook another 5 min, take them out, and serve.  


Here is the Cheesy Potato Soup recipe (serves 6-8): 
1 onion (chopped)
couple of cloves of garlic (chopped)
some chopped celery (as much or as little as you'd like)
4 carrots (chopped)
6 potatoes (peeled and chopped)
Simmer above ingredients with about 3 cups of water until potatoes and carrots are soft.
Add 2 C. milk, 2 TBSP of Better than Bouillon, and salt and pepper to taste (I also ended up adding some garlic garni).  Bring to a soft boil.
Take another cup of milk and mix 3 TBSP of flour into the milk until there are no lumps.  Then add to soup.
Cook until slightly thickened.  Turn off heat and add 2/3 C. Greek Yogurt and 1 C. of grated cheese (I used a little sharp cheddar and Romano).
Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. Don't kid yoursef you are super creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..and post EVERYTHING you cook. Wem(I personally) would love to read them and try sometime soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was one of Liz's Sunday guests for this delicious potato soup and salad (with yummy rolls) dinner! And, as you would guess, it was delicious! Keep on blogging, girrrlfreind!!
    Laura :)

    ReplyDelete