Saturday, February 11, 2012

Its Time for SEEDS!!!!

 Its about 2 months until the frost season finishes at my house and I'm determined to start all my own plants from seeds this year for my garden.  The last several attempts have not been quite so successful.  Apparently even if it is really warm outside (like the middle of summer), small seeds don't like it.  They either get too cold at night or get too hot during the day or get too dried out.  Seeds also like the best soil that you have to ofter them (I'm talking top of the line stuff, not the dirt that's out in your yard).  They are fragile little things and get stubborn when they don't get enough nutrients.  This year I will succeed (and I did)!
Note: Seeds have absolutely no problem sown directly in my garden.  However, by the time the frost season ends and I plant the seeds it is two late.

First of all, I actually bought some organic potting soil.  Potting soil is good for when you actually have potted plants since it has more nutrients than garden soil and will keep your plants nice and happy.
Secondly, I've allowed my seeds to take up residence in the house (along with the beer, kombucha, sour dough, and water kefir).  I found the perfect spot for them by a window that gets sun for at least 6 hours every day.
Thirdly, I have a spray bottle of water right next to the tray of plants, which makes it very convenient to keep the seeds well hydrated.

Things you'll need to start your own plants:
-organic potting soil
-spray bottle (for water)
-plastic cups (the cheapest is the best)
-tray
-seeds
-plastic wrap

Fill a tray with plastic cups, cut a couple of slits in the bottom, and label with a permanent marker.
Organic potting soil ready for use
Fill cups with potting soil and lightly pat down the soil
Follow the directions on the seed packets for how deep to plant the seeds
Spray with water (morning and evening) and keep covered with plastic until the seeds sprout

Yay! Nice and moist. 
The seeds are just starting to sprout, so remove the plastic
Continue giving your plants water, a nice warm place to stay, and love and this is what you'll get after about 3 weeks

Currently I have red winter kale, spinach, sage, romaine lettuce, oregano, and butterhead lettuce ready to go in the ground.  I just planted the seeds for parsley, thyme, dill, lavender, basil, roma tomato, mortgage lifter tomato, cherokee purple tomato, orange sun sweet pepper, and greek pepperoncini.  I have rosemary, lemon verbena, thyme, sage, and mint still alive and beautiful in the garden.  This is a good start but I still have many plants to go, such as: more tomato plants, cucumber, more kinds of bell pepper, serrano chili, and anaheim chili (all of which I'll start as seeds), and zucchini, peas, green beans, sugar pie pumpkins, butternut squash, and maybe some strawberries (which I'll plant directly into the ground).

Whoa! I'll be busy this summer with planting and gardening.  Stay tuned for more tips on Liz's bits about plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment