Friday, March 29, 2013

Sourdough English Muffins

A year ago, I tried making a starter. With that starter, I tried making English muffins. They didn't turn out very well. I think I may have eaten one and thrown the rest away. Now that I have another starter (which seems much happier than the last one), I decided to try my hand at making English muffins again. Although I'm still refining my process, I made whole wheat English muffins that lasted only two days before I ate them all. I got the recipe from here.

Sourdough English Muffins
8-12 hours before you want to eat this deliciousness, mix together:
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1 cup milk
2 cups whole wheat flour
After 8-12 hours, add:
1 T. Honey
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
Turn out to a floured surface and kneed until everything is incorporated. Flatten to about 3/4". Using a biscuit cutter or a wine glass, cut rounds. Allow to rise on some corn meal or flour (I used flour and they stuck a little bit so next time I'm going to used corn meal) for 45 minutes (don't forget to cover them so they don't dry out). Heat a pan or electric skillet to medium. Grease the pan a little (unless it's non-stick). Cook 5-7 minutes on each side. Cut open and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment